St. Sebastian’s Church, Udayamperoor, Syro-Malabar Catholic Archdiocese of ErnakulamAngamaly (Syro-Malabar Catholic Church), is situated 8 kilometers (5.0 mi) south of Thripunithura, a historical and traditional place in Ernakulam District, Kerala state, South India and 2(4.0 km) north of Poothotta, the border of Ernakulam and Kottayam districts, near Vembanad lake.Udayamperoor is a historically significant place, where the Synod of Diamper in 1599 held at All Saints Church, Udayamperoor (Old) is very near to this church.
A Christian community, called ‘Nazranis’, which means the disciples of Jesus of Nazareth, was formed at Kodungaloor, an important place for trade, through the witness and preaching of the Gospel of St. Thomas, one of the Apostles of Jesus Christ. A group of 72 families from Syria and Mesopotamia under the leadership of Knanayi Thoma, a disciple of St. Thomas, was migrated to Kodungaloor in 345 AD.
Later they moved to different parts of Kerala like Udayamperoor, Kottayam etc. St. Sebastian’s Church was established in 1893, by a group of parishioners with the leadership of Fr. Yohannan Manickanamparambil, the parishioner, separated themselves from St. John the Baptist Church,
South Parur established in 802 AD.In the beginning, the sacraments were administered in a school hall and later a new church was built here with the cooperation of the parishioners. Many renovations were take place in different periods. The centenary celebrations were conducted in 1993. A new church was built and consecrated on 6 January 2005 by His Excellency Mar Thomas Chakkiath (Auxiliary bishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly) was notable marks in the history of this parish.
The relics of St. Sebastian, the martyr and the Patron Saint of this parish, brought from Rome established here for the veneration by His Excellency Mar Sebastian Adayantharath (Auxiliary bishop of Ernakulam- Angamaly).The feast of Jesus, Mary and St. John the Baptist and St. Sebastian is celebrated every year of first Sunday after the feast of Dhanaha(January 6). The Parish has the history of service in the field of education. An English Medium School started here in 2002 instead of Malayalam medium unaided school for the need of the people.